FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

A declaration from the authorities in your country of origin that according to its laws there is no bar to marriage must be submitted to the local Registrar (so called authorization.)

Important: If you can’t or don’t want to contact the authorities from your country, you can ask the Registrar of the municipality where you reside to publish the wedding bans after having submitted the original copy of an affidavit signed less than six months ago.

You can obtain the affidavit by:

  • Going to the local court and, in the presence of two witnesses, declaring under your own
    responsibility that you are unmarried.
  • Going to a notary with two people (defined as ‘attestati’) who will have to declare that you meet
    the requirements to get married.

Yes, you can get married!

Important Update: As of April 1, 2022, it is no longer necessary to ask the UNHCR for permission to get married. This is a consequence of the Ministry of the Interior, Department of Internal and Territorial Affairs Memo n. 1.

It is now sufficient to ask the Civil Registrar of the Municipality where you reside, or where you intend to marry, to publish marriage bans. To do it you must submit a self-declaration of no impediment in accordance with DPR n. 445/2000, notarized by the Civil Registrar that states that you are not married and therefore free to do so.

You will find the necessary forms at Civil Registry Office in your municipality. 

See the UNHCR Information Sheet (Italian) and (English)

Please Note: It might be useful to have with you a copy of the Ministry of the Interior’s Memo and the UNHCR Information Sheet when you go to your Municipality’s Civil Registry Office.

(Download sample form)

You can appeal to the Courts, petitioning a judge to certify that there is no bar to marriage, and therefore instruct the Registrar to proceed with the publican of the wedding bans.